Close Menu
  • Home
  • London
  • St Thomas
  • Toronto
  • Oakville
  • Ottawa
    • Hamilton
    • Richmond Hill
    • Vaughan
    • Windsor
    • Simcoe
    • St. Catharines
    • Thunder Bay
    • Tillsonburg
    • Vaughan
    • Wasaga Beach
    • Waterloo
    • Whitby
    • Windsor
    • Hamilton
    • Kitchener
    • Oakville
    • Ottawa
    • Perth
    • Peterborough
    • Pickering
    • Port Elgin
    • Renfrew
    • Richmond Hill
  • Contact us
What's Hot
Arrest Made in Richmond Hill Youth Assault Cases

Arrest Made in Richmond Hill Youth Assault Cases

August 20, 2026
WSIB Announces Job Cuts in Northern Ontario

WSIB Announces Job Cuts in Northern Ontario

August 20, 2026
Key Details About the Upcoming 2026 Election in St. Catharines

Key Details About the Upcoming 2026 Election in St. Catharines

August 20, 2026
Missing Woman’s Remains Identified After 20 Years

Missing Woman’s Remains Identified After 20 Years

August 20, 2026
Peel Region Urges Ontario for Support on Key Concerns

Peel Region Urges Ontario for Support on Key Concerns

August 20, 2026
Facebook Instagram
Facebook Instagram
Ontario ChronicleOntario Chronicle
Subscribe
  • Home
  • London
  • St Thomas
  • Toronto
  • Oakville
  • Ottawa
    • Hamilton
    • Richmond Hill
    • Vaughan
    • Windsor
    • Simcoe
    • St. Catharines
    • Thunder Bay
    • Tillsonburg
    • Vaughan
    • Wasaga Beach
    • Waterloo
    • Whitby
    • Windsor
    • Hamilton
    • Kitchener
    • Oakville
    • Ottawa
    • Perth
    • Peterborough
    • Pickering
    • Port Elgin
    • Renfrew
    • Richmond Hill
  • Contact us
Ontario ChronicleOntario Chronicle
Home»Canadian Politics»Thousands of Canadians Join Effort to Revive 24 Sussex Drive
Views: 3247
Canadian Politics

Thousands of Canadians Join Effort to Revive 24 Sussex Drive

July 10, 20264 Mins Read
Share Facebook Twitter Pinterest LinkedIn Tumblr Reddit Telegram Email
Thousands of Canadians Join Effort to Revive 24 Sussex Drive
The Rideau Hall Foundation, which is leading the national fundraising campaign to restore 24 Sussex Drive, says 2,065 individuals have so far donated a total of $461,822 toward the goal of $50 million. (Adrian Wyld/The Canadian Press)
Share
Facebook Twitter LinkedIn Pinterest Email
Over 2,000 donors from all over Canada have contributed to a crowdfunding effort aimed at restoring 24 Sussex Drive, which is currently in disrepair and serves as the official residence for the prime minister in Ottawa.

In June, Prime Minister Mark Carney announced the beginning of a nationwide campaign to raise millions for the restoration of this historic property.

When he introduced that initiative, Carney mentioned that a list of contributors would be made public. The Rideau Hall Foundation, which is heading up the national fundraising effort, shared that list on Friday.

WATCH | Carney says 24 Sussex donor names will be public:

24 Sussex Drive restoration donor list will be public, Carney says

On Friday, Prime Minister Mark Carney confirmed that the project to restore the prime minister’s official home will involve a fundraising campaign. He stated that the donor names would be disclosed and ‘there will be a limit’ on how much individuals can donate.

Erected in 1868, 24 Sussex has been empty for over ten years and was last inhabited by former prime minister Steven Harper. The heritage site has undergone significant renovations to eliminate mould, asbestos, and pests.

Harper and former prime minister Jean Chrétien both supported the restoration project and played roles in moving it forward.

The Rideau Hall Foundation informed CBC via email that the “first-hand experience” of these two past residents “will be valuable in all aspects of the project including the fundraising.”

Over $400K raised so far

The Rideau Hall foundation reported that as of July 9, there were 2,065 Canadians who had donated a total of $461,822 toward this fundraising effort. The average donation so far stands at $223.

While that’s a notable amount, it’s still less than one percent of the project’s stated goal of $50 million. The project’s website clarifies that this figure isn’t an approved or confirmed budget for restoring the 32-room residence.

Teresa Marques, president and CEO of the foundation, mentioned during an interview with CBC’s Ottawa Morning in June that any excess funds will be “repurposed into the project itself going forward.”

“This is really meant to be a bit of a moonshot,” Marques said. “Our hope is that we are able to cover all or most of the costs of this project.”

Marques explained that they arrived at the $50 million target after discussions with federal officials regarding what needed to be done based on previous estimates.

The foundation noted its two largest donations thus far have each been $10,000; however, there are pledges for even larger contributions.

An earlier version of the public donor list included someone referred to only as “Valued Cardholder,” but this entry has since been removed. A spokesperson for the foundation told CBC some donations required “enhanced screening.”

“This was one such case and accidentally was left in the list of names; that has since been corrected,” said the spokesperson.

The donation page on Rideau Hall Foundation’s website initially suggests donors give $100 but also offers options for $50, $75, $250, $500 and $1,000. People can also customize their amounts if they wish.

The maximum allowable donation stands at $5 million-making it ten percent of their overall fundraising goal.

What’s next for 24 Sussex?

At last month’s announcement event , Carney expressed that restoring this property benefits future prime ministers who “will undoubtedly need to raise their children here as they lead our country.”

“I will never , in any event , live in 24 Sussex Drive,” Carney stated.

In addition to launching this crowdfunding campaign , Carney unveiled plans for a national design competition aimed at restoring this residence. Canadian firms are invited to participate , with plans for announcing the winning proposal by next Canada Day.

< WATCH | Carney announces competition to restore 24 Sussex:

Carney announces national design competition to restore 24 Sussex Drive

Canadian firms will have an opportunity submit proposals for designing and restoring Canada’s prime ministerial residence , according to Prime Minister Mark Carney. The winning proposal is expected by July 1 ,2027. Carney emphasized their aim is making sure that twenty-four Sussex Drive represents “the very best”of Canada.

Source link

Canada Politics Canadian Politics Canadian Politics news Canadians donated drive restoration Sussex
Share. Facebook Twitter Pinterest LinkedIn Tumblr Email
Previous ArticleArrest Made in Oakville Equipment Theft
Next Article Discharged to a Motel: An Elderly Woman’s Experience
Casey Brooks
  • Website

Related Posts

Officials Nearing Agreement on Canada-U.S. Trade Pact
Canadian Politics

Officials Nearing Agreement on Canada-U.S. Trade Pact

August 20, 2026
Pierre Poilievre Welcomes Reza Pahlavi to Canada
Canadian Politics

Pierre Poilievre Welcomes Reza Pahlavi to Canada

August 20, 2026
Major Steel Roof Upgrade Completed by Austin Roofing
St. Catharines

Major Steel Roof Upgrade Completed by Austin Roofing

August 20, 2026

Subscribe to Updates

Stay updated with the latest news and exclusive content from Ontario Chronicle, delivered straight to your inbox. Sign up now and never miss a story!

loader

At Ontario Chronicle, we are dedicated to bringing you the latest news and updates from across the vibrant cities of Ontario, Canada. From the bustling streets of Brampton to the serene landscapes of Burlington, from the cultural hub of Hamilton to the historic charm of London.

We're social. Connect with us:

Facebook X (Twitter) Instagram Pinterest YouTube
Top Insights
New Tip Line Established for LHSC Fraud Case

New Tip Line Established for LHSC Fraud Case

August 20, 2026
New Pain Relief Technique for Amputees at Hamilton General

New Pain Relief Technique for Amputees at Hamilton General

August 20, 2026
Ongoing Strike at National Steel Car Over Pay Issues

Ongoing Strike at National Steel Car Over Pay Issues

August 19, 2026
Facebook X (Twitter) Instagram Pinterest
  • Home
  • About us
  • Contact us
  • DMCA
  • Disclaimer
  • Privacy Policy
  • Terms and Conditions
© 2026 OntarioChronicle.

Type above and press Enter to search. Press Esc to cancel.

Subscribe to Updates

Stay updated with the latest news and exclusive content from Ontario Chronicle, delivered straight to your inbox. Sign up now and never miss a story!

loader

✅

You're Subscribed!

Thanks for subscribing to Ontario Chronicle. You'll start receiving updates shortly.