Operators respond to province’s new safety directive following deadly daycare crash
Child care providers throughout York Region are quickly adopting new safety protocols after the Ontario government instructed them to restrict parking near daycare entrances and play areas. This comes after a tragic incident where a toddler lost their life due to an SUV crashing into a Richmond Hill centre earlier this month.
At the Moppett School in Newmarket, which is part of Edu Kids Child Care Centres with 21 locations across the Greater Toronto Area, parents have been informed that outdoor play times will be adjusted to avoid peak drop-off and pick-up hours.
Children will now access the back play area from 10 to 11 a. m. and again from 3 to 4 p. m. Parking spaces next to the playground will be cordoned off during these times using staff vehicles or pylons, while families are requested to park across the street if arriving during those periods.
“Following the tragic incident in Richmond Hill this past week involving a car driving into a childcare centre, child care centres in Ontario are working to make changes to support the safety of children,” said the Moppett School announcement.
Upper Canada Child Care, operating 80 locations primarily within schools-including two in Aurora and seven in Newmarket-has also begun implementing changes.
“Like so many, we were truly devastated to hear of this tragedy and our deepest sympathy goes to the families and educators at First Roots Early Education Academy,” said Marjorie Le Poidevin, director of communications and marketing.
“Following the directive issued by Minister Paul Calandra, we immediately communicated with all our centre supervisors to review the memorandum and begin implementing the recommended safety measures.”
Le Poidevin noted that each centre is evaluating parking and outdoor areas to block spaces adjacent to playgrounds, windows, or classrooms during operational hours. Temporary barriers such as pylons, signage, and staff vehicles are being used where necessary while accessible parking remains available.
She added that Upper Canada is collaborating with school boards and landlords on exploring long-term solutions like installing permanent barriers.
The Ontario education minister issued this directive last week instructing operators to close any parking spaces that “pose a risk to children’s safety” until additional protections can be established.
Calandra urged centres to utilize pylons or staff vehicles as temporary solutions while confirming that the government is considering options for permanent protective infrastructure such as bollards or planters.
This order follows the crash on September 10 at a Richmond Hill daycare that took the life of 18-month-old Liam Riazati and left several others injured. A 70-year-old man has been charged with dangerous operation of a vehicle causing death along with dangerous operation causing bodily harm.
Calandra, who represents Markham-Stouffville, mentioned that his ministry would inspect all child care centres for vulnerabilities. He also promised potential legislative or regulatory changes if needed to assist operators in setting up permanent barriers.
“Families can expect to see visible changes at many locations as any appropriate additional safety measures are put into place,” said Le Poidevin.
Source link
Source link









