‘I think it’s crazy what is happening to Barrie,’ says one man; another area resident asks why police didn’t issue a shelter-in-place order
Local residents are expressing their worries about rising violence in the neighborhood after a 22-year-old man was shot in what city police describe as a “targeted” incident last night in northeast Barrie.
Authorities have confirmed that the victim is now in stable condition at a hospital in Toronto.
Barrie police’s major crime unit is looking into the shooting, which took place around 7:45 p. m. on Tuesday, May 19.
Emergency services responded to reports of gunfire near Johnson Street and Shanty Bay Road.
The victim was taken to a local hospital with serious injuries before being airlifted to a trauma center in Toronto.
“Witnesses reported seeing two males running toward Johnson Beach following the shooting,” police mentioned in an announcement this morning. “Despite extensive search efforts involving members of the tactical and canine units, the suspects were not located.”
Police have stated they will be present today gathering information and evidence related to the shooting. In today’s release, authorities indicated they believe this incident was not a “random act.”
A woman named Claudia, residing on nearby Indian Arrow Road, felt unsettled by last night’s events that resulted in heavy police activity in her neighborhood.
“I’m very concerned, actually. I love Barrie. I’ve been living here for close to 11 years … (so) it’s quite shocking,” she told Barrie Today on Wednesday.
Claudia remembered hearing a “barrage of sirens” as emergency crews rushed to respond to Tuesday evening’s incident.
She questioned how law enforcement managed their initial response to the shooting so close to her home.
“They should have, you know, a shelter-in-place (warning). We’re close enough,” she said. “Nobody knocked on my door. I know there would be some sort of protocol.”
Barrie Today asked police Wednesday about how and when they issue shelter-in-place orders.
“Under the Community Safety and Policing Act, an ‘active attacker’ is defined as someone who poses a serious ongoing and immediate threat to others if not stopped,” explained Barrie police spokesperson Kim Phillips.
“In this case, the Johnson Street shooting was a targeted incident and those involved were seen fleeing the area,” she added. “Therefore, it did not meet the criteria for a shelter-in-place advisory. We understand the concern this incident has raised. Community safety remains our priority.”
A man living nearby said he heard gunfire from his home.
“I was playing a video game with my headset on and I heard through my headset what sounded like real gunshots,” said Riley, who identified himself by name.
He went out onto his balcony but “saw nothing.”
“Around four minutes later, police officers, paramedics, and tactical teams started arriving and searching the area,” Riley told Barrie Today. “I think it’s crazy what is happening to Barrie.”
Meanwhile, another resident from an apartment complex on Johnson Street where the shooting occurred shrugged off worries about public safety.
“It hasn’t bothered us. That’s life, isn’t it?” said the anonymous man.
He referred to recent violence in that part of Barrie as just part of challenges faced by an expanding city.
This shooting follows other violent incidents over recent weeks in northeast Barrie.
A party at Johnson’s Beach on May 8 ended with fights and left one youth injured. Earlier that day, bullets struck a Tesla parked in someone’s driveway on Hickling Trail.
...........
.$%@#$@#. “,””{ color: blue; display: block; border-radius: 5px; background-color: yellow; } } ` Source link ..
...........
.$%@#$@#. “,””{ color: blue; display: block; border-radius: 5px; background-color: yellow; } } ` Source link ..









