Tears and frustration were among the reactions of Workplace Safety and Insurance Board (WSIB) employees after hearing on Wednesday that their jobs are being cut.
This was shared by their union and a worker from Windsor who got a redundancy notice.
Case manager Carla Mallett, who has been part of WSIB for the last 26 years, mentioned it was tough to get through her workday after receiving the news.
“Yesterday I was numb the entire day,” she said.
“It was hard to really react and to take it in. I knew that I was angry; the majority of the emotion was anger toward the employer. Today, [I] more feel the devastation to my co-workers.
“I know that I will be OK, but I have guilt because I am going to be OK.”
A total of 466 WSIB workers have received redundancy notices, according to the Ontario Compensation Employees Union (OCEU). That includes 131 in Windsor.
Harry Goslin, president of the Ontario Compensation Employees Union, speaks at a rally in Toronto in 2025. Goslin mentioned there was an understanding after last summer’s strike that WSIB needed to hire more staff. ( )
However, Mallett expressed that workloads were already quite heavy.
“At the end of the day, you are feeling drained,” she said.
“We know that injured workers aren’t receiving the level of service they deserve. And … getting rid of so many individuals is only going to magnify that.”
The union noted there had been an agreement following a strike last summer that increasing staff numbers would be necessary to manage workloads effectively.
Instead, there were emotional meetings held on Wednesday where workers learned about their layoffs.
“And then they just walked away, wouldn’t even take a question from those affected,” said Harry Goslin, OCEU president.
‘Feeling angry, betrayed’
“It was devastating. It was one of those meetings where you could see reactions – feeling angry, betrayed, sobbing on camera. Some were so upset they couldn’t even reach up to turn off their camera.”
The WSIB did not respond to CBC’s inquiries regarding how many positions are open at other offices for displaced workers wanting transfers.
Mallett shared she’ll opt for an exit package since her family is in Windsor and she can’t support what WSIB is doing.
Additionally,sshe mentioned she didn’t want to block another worker with less seniority from taking advantage of opportunities. The WSIB is entirely funded by individual companies rather than tax dollars.
A significant point is it’s seen as a provincial Crown corporation operating independently from government oversight.
Windsor’s previous WSIB office at 2845 Ouellette Ave., closed its doors permanently in 2024,
leaving all community-based employees working remotely.
Source link
WSIB assures service will continue as usual
The affected employees were offered two choices: accept an exit package or request relocation to a site where a WSIB office still operates. The closest option is London. The WSIB stated that services will continue as they do now in Windsor and across Ontario since most claim and account-related services are accessible online or via phone. “Modernizing our services has included the creation of self-serve online options available 24/7 and the expansion of access to local health care,” the agency said in an email.Mallett shared she’ll opt for an exit package since her family is in Windsor and she can’t support what WSIB is doing.
Additionally,sshe mentioned she didn’t want to block another worker with less seniority from taking advantage of opportunities. The WSIB is entirely funded by individual companies rather than tax dollars.
A significant point is it’s seen as a provincial Crown corporation operating independently from government oversight.
Windsor’s previous WSIB office at 2845 Ouellette Ave., closed its doors permanently in 2024,
leaving all community-based employees working remotely.
Source link









