Ontario Construction News staff writer
The Government of Ontario has granted four Minister’s Zoning Orders (MZOs) to push forward a contentious transit-oriented development (TOC) project in Oakville, claiming it will speed up housing construction and create jobs near the town’s GO station.
According to last week’s announcement, the Midtown Oakville project aims to generate nearly 4,000 construction jobs and add over 6,800 new homes. The plans include a mixed-use community with residential towers, public spaces, and amenities within walking distance of the Oakville GO Station.
This development, being advanced in collaboration with Distrikt Developments, has been under review for several years and is set to feature multiple highrise buildings. Earlier designs suggested towers could reach up to 56 storeys, but the province indicates that adjustments being considered might lower those heights to around 38 storeys while keeping the total number of units intact.
“These MZOs will support the establishment of a vibrant, mixed-use community with new public spaces, more housing and enhanced transit access,” the province stated, adding that the project could also lead to about 400 long-term jobs.
The province first indicated its intention to use MZOs on Dec. 3, 2025, by posting a notice about potentially overriding local planning rules to advance a revised Midtown plan. MZOs enable the province to expedite development approvals, which has faced criticism in some municipalities.
Residents and community organizations have expressed worries about whether local infrastructure can handle such significant growth. Concerns include possible traffic congestion near the GO station, strain on water and sewer systems, schools and healthcare services, along with the overall impact of adding thousands of residents in one concentrated area.
Stephen Crawford mentioned he feels positive that the province is addressing local concerns.
“I’m encouraged that the province has heard those concerns and is committed to working with the town to further refine the project while maintaining the number of homes and benefits to the community,” he said. He added that he will keep collaborating with both provincial officials and municipal council members to shape this development.
Acting Infrastructure Minister Todd Mc Carthy noted that consultations with local officials and residents have been ongoing since 2024 through public meetings, advisory committees and via the Environmental Registry of Ontario.
“As a key partner in delivering the Oakville TOC, we have been working closely with the Town of Oakville and value their feedback as we work on making refinements to the TOC design,” Mc Carthy said while mentioning potential changes in building heights based on community input.
Despite these consultations taking place, some local groups continue opposing this project’s scale since discussions began.
The province claims this development aligns with Oakville’s broader growth strategy aimed at achieving its goal of delivering 33,000 new homes by 2031. The TOC plans also incorporate parks, publicly accessible areas, bike paths and a daycare facility alongside improved access connections to the GO station.
Officials added that over $44 million has been invested in Oakville since 2024 through various housing and infrastructure initiatives including funding aimed at expanding water treatment capacity for future growth support.
Oakville Mayor Rob Burton welcomed ongoing cooperation with provincial authorities but indicated advocacy for residents would persist as this project progresses.
Source link
Residents and community organizations have expressed worries about whether local infrastructure can handle such significant growth. Concerns include possible traffic congestion near the GO station, strain on water and sewer systems, schools and healthcare services, along with the overall impact of adding thousands of residents in one concentrated area.
Stephen Crawford mentioned he feels positive that the province is addressing local concerns.
“I’m encouraged that the province has heard those concerns and is committed to working with the town to further refine the project while maintaining the number of homes and benefits to the community,” he said. He added that he will keep collaborating with both provincial officials and municipal council members to shape this development.
Acting Infrastructure Minister Todd Mc Carthy noted that consultations with local officials and residents have been ongoing since 2024 through public meetings, advisory committees and via the Environmental Registry of Ontario.
“As a key partner in delivering the Oakville TOC, we have been working closely with the Town of Oakville and value their feedback as we work on making refinements to the TOC design,” Mc Carthy said while mentioning potential changes in building heights based on community input.
Despite these consultations taking place, some local groups continue opposing this project’s scale since discussions began.
The province claims this development aligns with Oakville’s broader growth strategy aimed at achieving its goal of delivering 33,000 new homes by 2031. The TOC plans also incorporate parks, publicly accessible areas, bike paths and a daycare facility alongside improved access connections to the GO station.
Officials added that over $44 million has been invested in Oakville since 2024 through various housing and infrastructure initiatives including funding aimed at expanding water treatment capacity for future growth support.
Oakville Mayor Rob Burton welcomed ongoing cooperation with provincial authorities but indicated advocacy for residents would persist as this project progresses.
Source link









