A 13-year-old girl from Ottawa, who suffered severe injuries on a ski lift in Quebec last week, has died.
The family confirmed her passing on Sunday in a statement released by the Children’s Hospital of Eastern Ontario – CHEO – in Ottawa.
“Her sweet, bubbly spirit and love for those around her will live on through the lives she has touched and the lives she has saved through Trillium Gift of Life organ donation,” the family said, thanking their community for the support they’ve received in recent days and for care provided by the CHEO.
The girl was injured on February 11 during a school trip to Centre Vorlage, a ski hill located in Wakefield, Quebec, about 30 kilometers northwest of Ottawa.
Police reported that her clothing got caught in the chairlift as it was lifting her off the ground.
Story continues below
“We would like to extend our love to all of those affected by this terrible tragedy,” the family said. “We are also grateful for everyone who took heroic action to help save our precious child.”
Source link
Get breaking National news
For news impacting Canada and around the world, sign up for breaking news alerts delivered directly to you when they happen. The Centre Vorlage ski area temporarily closed after the incident and expressed its sadness over this loss in a statement released on Sunday. “We extend our most sincere condolences to her family, loved ones, and members of her school community as they mourn this devastating loss,” the resort stated on its Facebook page. More on Canada More videos The resort is planning a gradual return to operations this week. “Safety remains an absolute priority for our entire team, and we will continue efforts to ensure a careful and respectful return to normal operations for everyone affected by this tragic accident,” the resort added. Trending Now Carney unveils ‘Buy Canadian’ defence plan, says security can’t be a ‘hostage’ Father of Tumbler Ridge school shooter issues statement: ‘I carry a sorrow’ On Monday, MRC-des-Collines police service announced that an Ontario coroner would investigate how she died while their investigation continues. The police also mentioned that Québec’s building code authority (RBQ) conducted inspections of the ski lift involved in this event and ordered its closure last week. They stated that operations at the hill would resume with approval from RBQ. Story continues below A spokesperson from the Ottawa-Carleton District School Board shared condolences with the student’s family on Monday. They also indicated mental health resources are available for students and staff needing support during this time. The board confirmed it has put all school-organized ski trips involving chairlifts on hold as officials work to understand what happened at the Quebec resort last week. & copy 2026Source link









