Your support helps us to tell the story
From reproductive rights to climate change to Big Tech, The Independent is on the ground when the story is developing. Whether it’s investigating the financials of Elon Musk’s pro-Trump PAC or producing our latest documentary, ‘The A Word’, which shines a light on the American women fighting for reproductive rights, we know how important it is to parse out the facts from the messaging. At such a critical moment in US history, we need reporters on the ground. Your donation allows us to keep sending journalists to speak to both sides of the story. The Independent is trusted by Americans across the entire political spectrum. And unlike many other quality news outlets, we choose not to lock Americans out of our reporting and analysis with paywalls. We believe quality journalism should be available to everyone, paid for by those who can afford it. Your support makes all the difference. Read more The 21-year-old man shot and killed by Secret Service agents after allegedly attempting to break into President Donald Trump’s Mar-a-Lago home in the early hours of Sunday came from a family of “avid Trump supporters,” according to a relative. Palm Beach County Sheriff Ric Bradshaw told media outlets that the suspect was Austin Tucker Martin, who entered the premises at the resort’s north gate armed with a shotgun and a gas canister around 1:30 a. m. Sunday. Trump and first lady Melania Trump were not at their Florida residence at that time. The couple was in Washington, D. C., on Saturday night for dinner with state governors, but Trump often spends weekends at Mar-a-Lago where he golfs on Sundays. Martin, from Cameron in North Carolina, had been reported missing from his home by his family on Saturday, Secret Service spokesman Anthony Guglielmi said. open image in gallery The Secret Service has shot and killed a man who attempted to break into President Donald Trump’s Mar-a-Lago home, announced by the agency Sunday morning. The president and first lady were not in Florida during this incident. (AFP via Getty Images)
open image in gallery
The shotgun and gas canister law enforcement found with Martin when he broke into Mar-a-Lago (Palm Beach County Sheriff’s Office)
Martin’s cousin Braeden Fields expressed his disbelief about what happened and mentioned that their family are “avid Trump supporters.”
“We are big Trump supporters, all of us. Everybody,” Fields, 19, stated but added that his cousin was “real quiet, never really talked about anything.”
“He’s a good kid,” Fields shared with reporters. “I wouldn’t believe he would do something like this. It’s mind-blowing.”
He noted Martin worked at a local golf course and sent money from each paycheck to charity.
“He wouldn’t even hurt an ant. He doesn’t even know how to use a gun,” Fields insisted.
During a Sunday morning press conference, Bradshaw reported that two Secret Service agents along with a deputy confronted Martin and instructed him to drop both items he was holding.
The suspect then “raised the shotgun to a shooting position,” according to Bradshaw.
“The only words we said to him were ‘drop the items,’” Bradshaw told reporters. “He put down the gas can but pointed the shotgun at us.” p >
open image in gallery p >A vehicle blocks access to property in Cameron North Carolina where suspect Austin Martin Tucker was from (AP)
open image in gallery p >Trump is currently in Washington D. C., but often spends weekends at his Florida residence where he golfs on Sundays (REUTERS)
Law enforcement officers were unharmed during this event.
Bradshaw added that FBI will lead this investigation.
While Trump hasn’t publicly addressed this shooting yet White House press secretary Karoline Leavitt commended Secret Service for acting “quickly and decisively,” using it as an opportunity for criticism against Democrats due partially due shutting down government operations.
Attorney General Pam Bondi mentioned she spoke with Trump regarding investigation alongside federal partners.
“Grateful that @potus and our law enforcement agents are safe,” Bondi posted on X.
FBI director Kash Patel mentioned they’re allocating “all necessary resources” toward investigation through social media statement.
“FBI is dedicating all necessary resources towards investigating today’s incident at President Trump’s Mar-A-Lago – where an armed individual was shot dead after unlawfully entering perimeter,” Patel stated while posting on X. “We’ll continue collaborating closely with @Secret Service as well as state federal partners providing updates as needed.”
Trump has faced life threats before including an assassination attempt during campaign rally held July 13th ,2024 Butler Pennsylvania.And earlier September fifteen ,2024 man armed captured waiting nearby golf course West Palm Beach while president played round sentenced life prison earlier month.
Source link









