A man from Toronto has been charged with assault causing bodily harm and making threats after a hotel worker in Markham was attacked last month in what authorities are describing as a “violent, hate-motivated” incident.
The victim is identified as a Muslim man by the National Council of Canadian Muslims (NCCM).
In a post on social media on Monday, the NCCM stated that a hotel guest questioned the man about his ethnic and religious background, and upon learning he was Muslim, proceeded to assault him.
The injuries he sustained are described as “gruesome and life-altering,” according to the NCCM.
Amira Elghawaby, Canada’s special representative for combatting Islamophobia, mentioned in a social media post on Monday that the attack was “absolutely horrifying and vicious,” adding that the Muslim man was “beaten so severely, he may never fully recover” from his injuries.
“Canadian Muslims, like all Canadians, deserve safety – Islamophobia remains an ongoing threat to our country and must be taken seriously,” Elghawaby stated in her post.
Source link
Suspect allegedly threatened victim’s life
In a news release on Wednesday, York Regional Police indicated that the alleged attack took place at a hotel near Highway 7 E. and Commerce Valley Drive W. on September 28. Authorities reported they were called to the hotel shortly after 3 a. m. regarding an ongoing assault. An employee had informed them that an intoxicated guest had become aggressive. Upon arrival, officers discovered the injured employee, who is 54 years old, and apprehended the suspect, aged 31, nearby. The police noted that the employee suffered serious head injuries and was transported to a trauma center by paramedics. According to their investigation, police learned that the suspect became upset after his credit card was declined while trying to pay for his room. “A verbal altercation ensued and the suspect’s demeanor changed when he learned the victim was Muslim,” police explained in their release. “The suspect became upset, told the victim he was going to kill him and chased him to a room where he was violently assaulted.” Police emphasized their condemnation of all acts of hate. “Hate has no place in our community. We are committed to protecting all residents and take these matters seriously,” police stated.‘We need action,’ says NCCM
The NCCM stated in another social media post on Wednesday that they are communicating with the family of the worker involved. “This utterly disgusting attack is one of many incidents happening more frequently across Canada. We don’t need more words; we need action,” said NCCM representatives. The group urged all elected officials to refrain from using “Islamophobic rhetoric, dog-whistles and innuendoes” about whether Muslims belong in Canada. “It’s this permissive rhetoric that helps foster a climate of Islamophobia,” they added. Ontario Premier Doug Ford expressed support for the Muslim community through a social media post on Wednesday declaring that his government will stand against Islamophobia in all its forms. “This vile act of hate is completely unacceptable. No one should ever be targeted or feel unsafe because of their faith,” Ford remarked. Authorities reiterated their commitment to thoroughly investigating any reports related to hate crimes or “hate/bias incidents.” Residents who have witnessed or experienced such events are encouraged to report them immediately.Source link









