The Mayor of Brampton has labeled the landlord of a rental property, where five family members lost their lives in a tragic fire, as an “absentee landlord,” highlighting a history of compliance issues spanning six years.
<p. On the same day that flames engulfed the home on Banas Way, Mayor Patrick Brown disclosed on Nov. 20 that city inspectors had been consistently denied access by the landlord.
“There had been attempts to gain compliance since 2019,” Mayor Brown stated. “I understand from the neighbours that during that entire period, we’ve been dealing with an absentee landlord.”
In a statement later shared on social media, Brown remarked, “The City had issued multiple orders to follow building and fire safety requirements.”
City officials confirmed that according to current municipal regulations, inspectors did not have the power to force entry into the property despite ongoing concerns. Solicitor General Michael Kerzner mentioned at a press conference that local fire services have jurisdiction over these issues and would need to conduct further investigations.
“This is something that they will have to investigate,” Kerzner said.
Source link
11 residents were present in the Brampton home during the fire
Under Ontario’s Fire Prevention and Protection Act, fire chiefs can enter and inspect properties without a warrant if there’s reasonable cause to believe a blaze could seriously threaten lives. It’s still unclear if Brampton officials escalated the repeated compliance issues to the fire department before this deadly incident. The flames consumed the rental property where 11 individuals were residing. Five family members – three women, a toddler, and an infant – are confirmed deceased. Four others are currently hospitalized but in stable condition. Peel Regional Police indicated that most residents at the Brampton address were part of a multi-generational family who considered it their home; it was demolished shortly after the devastating fire. Ontario’s Fire Marshal has since verified that smoke alarms were discovered within the debris of the fire, with testing underway to establish whether they were functional when the blaze ignited. City News examined a 2021 rental listing for 12 Banas Way, two years prior to when family members moved in. Images from this ad displayed rooms lacking or having damaged smoke alarms. The property was advertised as a spacious four-bedroom residence with an available finished basement for rent.Landlord’s legal representative responds
City News managed to reach out to the landlord who owns three other properties in Brampton. His lawyer initially claimed he was unaware of how many people lived in the home and denied receiving any communication or inspection requests from city officials. This Wednesday, counsel for the landlord released an extensive statement refuting what he described as “misinformation and apprehensions.” “The landlord of 12 Banas Way is devastated by this tragic incident at their rental property and sends heartfelt condolences to all tenants and occupants,” said Sukhi Baidwan. “The landlord requests respect for everyone affected by this incident during such a challenging time.” The statement stressed that following the fire, the landlord cooperated with law enforcement and insurance agencies and became aware of what happened within an hour. Counsel indicated that he immediately contacted his tenant and sought legal advice. Baidwan mentioned that this property was purchased newly constructed and approved by city planners as a four-bedroom home with one partially finished bedroom in its basement; he emphasized no changes had been made since acquisition. The lease signed in March 2023 allowed only four adults along with one child to reside there; Baidwan claimed any additional occupants were without knowledge or authorization from him. The statement also highlighted regular communication between landlords and tenants; he visited in October 2025 along with a real estate agent while coordinating duct cleaning and appliance repairs earlier that summer. Tenants intended to vacate by Nov. 30, 2025. Baidwan dismissed claims about being absent or uninvolved stating he was “always in town except for planned one or two week vacations.” Brampton is currently running a pilot project requiring landlords in certain wards to secure licenses similar to business permits. This initiative aims at giving city officials enhanced inspection powers against unsafe rental practices. The Banas Way property wasn’t included in this pilot program; plans will be introduced at Brampton city council this week aimed at extending licensing across all areas of the city.Source link









