DUNEDIN, Fla. – Toronto Blue Jays manager John Schneider isn’t expecting much from the team’s first few spring training games.
“Health,” Schneider said, “first and foremost.”
However, there are some Blue Jays players who deserve attention during Toronto’s spring matches. Some are vying for roster spots while others aim to bounce back from tough seasons or experience their first taste of Major League Baseball. Here are three Blue Jays to keep an eye on as Grapefruit League action begins.
Source link
3B Kazuma Okamoto
A week into his first MLB spring training, Kazuma Okamoto is full of questions. The third baseman approached George Springer before a live bullpen at-bat against submarine reliever Tyler Rogers. Using hand signals to mimic the diving motion of the righty’s sinker and Frisbee-like movement on the slider, Springer explained. But Okamoto’s inquiries go even deeper. “He’s asking about pitch clock,” Schneider said, “about guys’ athleticism off the mound, when we’re talking about bunts, guys’ arms in the outfield, things like that. He’s asked some really good questions, and we’re just trying to stay ahead of some of the differences that may be in Major League Baseball.” For most big-league hitters, these early spring drills and preseason games focus on finding their swing timing and easing into a season. For Okamoto, it’s a chance for a rookie to learn. Spring training doesn’t always predict how players signed from Nippon Professional Baseball will perform against major-league pitching. Shogo Akiyama hit over.310 in his first spring training but only played 142 MLB games across two years. Shohei Ohtani struggled with a.125 average and a.347 OPS in his initial spring; we all know how his career turned out. You don’t have to fixate on stats for Okamoto this spring; however, these preseason games are critical. With him leaving camp soon to join Japan’s World Baseball Classic team in late February, this is his one shot to adjust to the big leagues before wins start counting.INF Leo Jiménez
He knows he has no minor-league options left. Infielder Leo Jiménez is trying not to think about it too much but understands he’ll either make Toronto’s Opening Day roster or be waived. The 24-year-old is fighting for a spot near the bottom of Toronto’s roster and likely competing with outfielder Nathan Lukes for the last hitting position unless injuries occur. Few players stand to gain as much from a solid spring as Jiménez does. The right-handed hitter has been working daily with infield coach Carlos Febles, taking ground balls at various positions throughout spring training. If Jiménez makes the roster, it’ll likely be as the team’s only bench infielder. While Jiménez has been fantastic at getting on base in the minors-holding a.303 on-base percentage-he has managed just a.635 OPS over 81 big-league games during the past two years. The Jays might simply keep Jiménez around due to their thin infield depth issues. But after claiming optionable infielder Ben Cowles off waivers Wednesday, it seems they’re restocking that position just in case they have to expose Jiménez to waivers eventually. The Panamanian will also participate in the WBC and will probably have to earn his spot through hard work. Former Toronto Blue Jays teammates Bo Bichette and Leo Jiménez celebrate after a win over the Tigers in Detroit. (Photo by Duane Burleson / Getty Images)SS Andrés Giménez
It took Andrés Giménez six months to fully recover from his high ankle sprain suffered last July. He returned mid-August and shifted over to shortstop when Bo Bichette got hurt just before playoffs began; he was still playing through pain during that time. “Anyone who’s had a high ankle sprain,” Giménez said, “they know.” Suffering from both ankle and hamstring injuries hindered Giménez’s performance last year; he hit just.210 with a 70 w RC+, marking both as career lows since joining Toronto. Following Bichette’s departure for New York Mets, he now takes over as Toronto’s full-time shortstop. The Jays aren’t worried about Giménez moving over; Schneider calls him baseball’s best infielder overall. The Venezuelan practices at short every offseason-even while transitioning back into second base come springtime-but what remains uncertain is how he’ll perform at bat? The answer matters beyond 2026. Giménez is under club control through 2030 with more than $85 million guaranteed left on his contract-and he’s one of only six Blue Jays with contracts secured through 2029 season too! Although he can provide considerable defensive value warranting such investment costs-the franchise aimed higher regarding offensive outputs when acquiring him during Winter Meetings back in 2024! After posting an impressive 141 w RC+ alongside MVP votes received earlier during season ’22-unfortunately followed suit declined each consecutive following seasons thereafter!Source link









